Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Gibraltar & the monkeys!!!

Gibraltar was a great place to travel to for a day during our Easter break trip. Ben and I stayed in a small town in Spain called 'La Linea de la Concepcion' next to the border between Spain and Gibraltar. We walked across the border (which is an airport runway) without any trouble into Gibraltar and went on our way to find the monkeys of Gibraltar. We decided to take a small cable car up to the 'Top of the Rock'. There were many many tourists and the line was long but way worth it! We finally arrived to the top very close to the closing time for the cable car to go down to the bottom again. We decided we would stay up there longer and take photos of the monkeys and then walk down the mountain. There are some people that do that.

The monkeys were absolutely great! I loved every minute of it. I took so many photos of all the monkeys. After we stayed up there for awhile we started our descent down the mountain. I never realized how sore you can be by walking down a mountain for a long time! As we were walking down the mountain we would find random groupings of monkeys all around the road and have to stop to take many more photos of the monkeys. We were very close to the bottom of the mountain and we saw three tourists taking photos of about five monkeys. We decided that we had to go and take more photos. The monkeys were running wild all around us. I went to talk to Ben who was a little farther ahead of me taking some photos of the monkeys and as I walked past one of the monkeys he jumped on my back! I had a monkey on my back!!! I couldn't believe it. I leaned over to make my back like a table hoping that the monkey would jump off fast and luckily he did. Ben and a quick opportunity to see the monkey on my back as I shouted with surprise not knowing what had just happened to me! It felt like a big big cat had jump on my back. It was very surprising. I didn't even have any food on me so who knows why the monkey did it. Now I will always have an exciting story from Gibraltar.

The monkeys run wild and are not afraid of people. This monkey decided he want a ride down the mountain on the top of the SUV.

Ben was deep in thought with a monkey in Gibraltar. He loved miming the monkeys. The monkeys wouldn't even move if people got close to them!

I loved taking many many many photos of all the monkeys. They were all very photogenic for me.

This is my favorite photo of a monkey that was just about to jump from part of the building to a tree up above.

I am standing at the 'Top of the Rock' with the Straight of Gibraltar and the mountains of Africa behind me. It was great to have such a beautiful day in Gibraltar that we were able to see Africa so clearly.

After spending one day in Gibraltar with the monkeys, Ben and I traveled to Granada, Spain.

No comments: